Sanatana Dharma, as has been proved was ancient.
Madurai Meenakshiamman Temple. Image Credit. http://ayshamohamed93.blogspot.in/2014/11/my-madurai.html
It was quite advanced in Arts, Literature,Science and Philosophy.
The temple architecture bears testimony to the development of Science, especially Astronomy .
Gangaikonda Cholapuram,. Image credit.http://www.incredibleindiaphotogallery.com/2012/07/glimpse-to-the-glorious-past-gangaikonda-cholapuram/dsc_5102/
The construction of these temples, with stones in an area where no stones or Mountains were available is a testimony to the fact that the ancient knew quarrying and more importantly transporting heavy materials like a single stone of nearly 180 tons to the roof of the temple which is 216 feet in the year 1000 AD.
It is the Thanjavur Brhadeeswara Temple in Tamil Nadu.
There are temples where the rays of the Sun touch the idol at the sanctum on a particular day of the year.
1000 pillars Halls, Stone pillars producing the Seven Notes of the Carnatic Music, cave temples ..the list is endless.
The cities were laid out in a systematic pattern in south India.
In the Centre was a temple, with a Pond.
The city was surrounded by square-shaped streets around the temple complex, all the streets leading to the Temple.
This can be seen in many temples in many cities of Tamil Nadu, notable examples being Madurai, Sri Rangam Srivilliputhur, Chidambaram.
These cities had a resting place for Travelers at regular intervals on the highways, at every Kaatham, about 16 Kilometers.
This may be seen on the road from Madurai to Srivilliputtur.
Each city , at the outskirts , had a small water tank meant for animals.
A stone column was erected for the animals to relieve their itching!
Such a civilization should have had great cities.
Many have sunk as in Lemuria where the Tamil Sangam 1 and 2 were held, in Then Madurai ( South Madurai and Kavatapuram)
We had Indraprastha now called Delhi,Pataliputra, now Patna
I had a look at some of the ancient cities of India which are to be discovered in full.
If people can look around places where tanks had been located with the satellite imagery they would find more cities.
Here is a List, which, of course, is not exhaustive.
I shall be writing on each of them in detail.
Readers may also contribute.
- Dholavira – Located in Gujarat, India. Indus Valley Civilization city
- Vijayanagar – Located in Karnataka, India. Now a UNESCO World Heritage site.
- Poompuhar – Located in Tamil Nadu, South India
- Lothal – Located in Gujarat, India – early city of the Indus Valley Civilization
- Surkotada – Located in Gujarat, India – early city of the Indus Valley Civilization
- Pattadakal – Located in Karnataka, South India. Now a UNESCO World Heritage site.
- Vasai-Located in India, former capital (1533-1740) of the Northern Provinces of Portuguese India
- Aror is located 8 kilometres east ofRohri in present daySindh, Pakistan. It had served as the ancient capital ofSindh and was oncelocated on the banks of Indus River. The city was once the prime nucleus centre of commerce and trade. The main languages spoken by the people are Hindi language, Urdu language, Punjabi language and Sindhilanguageand the religion followed were Hinduism, Islam and Sikhism.Kannauj
Kannauj was one of the most beautiful ancient cities in India that was ruled by different rulers. The city was described as a city which raised its head to the skies and which in strength and beauty might boast of being unrivalled. Kannauj has incessantly served as a place of immense historical significance. The city had, much later, become a new district of the Uttar Pradesh on September 18th, 1997.Bairat
Bairat is a much celebrated and momentous town in the northern Jaipur of Rajasthan. It is located 52 kilometres north of Jaipur and 66 kilometres west of Alwar.
Kalibangan is a town situated in Hanumangarh district of Rajasthan. The town is precisely located upon the banks of Ghaggar River. This ancient city of India has been considered as the third important city amongst all the excavated Harappan sites, under the Indus valley civilization. The city had received its name from the innumerable pieces of terracotta bangles that were excavated here.
Sagala is believed to be the modern day Sialkot, and it had once served as a great centre of trade and commerce, filled with business prospects.
Sitanagaram is a small and humble and ancient site located in the Guntur district of Andhra Pradesh.
- Hansi is a town in theHisar district of Haryana. The ancient city ofHansi is known to possess five gates to enter Delhi. It majestically incorporate the Delhi Gate at the East,Hisar gate at the West,Gosain gate at North-West,Barsi Gate at South andUmra Gate in thesouth west direction.Kumbhoj
Kumbhoj is the name of an ancient town located in the Kolhapur district of Maharashtra.Kalpi
Kalpi is an ancient city of India, in Jalaun district of Uttar Pradesh. Kalpi rather seizes stronghold from its sisterly counterparts, due to being conceived as the birthplace of sage Ved Vyas. The city of Kalpi is also renowned for its art of paper making.
Bhinmal is a town in the Jalore district of Rajasthan. Bhinmal had once served as the capital of ancient Gujarat. The earlier name of Bhinmal was Bhillamala.
Tamralipta is the name of another important ancient city of West Bengal. Now the place is however identified as Tamluk. Tamluk derives its name from the Sanskrit word Tamra Lipta meaning ‘full of copper’.
Urayur is an ancient city located in Tiruchirappalli, Tamil Nadu.
Dwaraka is another ancient city situated in Gujarat. According to Hindu mythology, Dwaraka was the dwelling place of Lord Krishna. The meaning of the word Dwaraka is a ‘door’.
Ujjain is located on the banks of Shipra River in Madhya Pradesh. According to Hindu mythology, Shipra had originated from the much admired churning of the oceans by the Gods and the Demons, with Vasuki, the serpent, serving as the rope. Osiyan is another ancient city that is approximately located at a distance of 65 kilometres from Jodhpur in Rajasthan. The city houses a number of temples and is presently a famous tourist spot.
Bayana is a town in the Bharatpur district of Rajasthan.
- The ancient name of the city wasSripatha orSriprashtha orShantipura. The city is claimed to have been discovered rather accidentally by an asura namedBanasura.Chunar
Chunar is in the Mirzapur District of Uttar Pradesh.
Citation and Reference.