I have received a message from my friend Daniel Dragomirescu,Romanian writer and journalist, born in Bucharest, a Humanist and a part of Contemporary literary Horizon,an International Literary Magazine.
He has forwarded me a write-up from Manzoor Hussain Parwana is the Chairman of Gilgit Baltistan United Movement.
Mr.Manzoor Hussain Parwana highlights the illegal attempts of Pakistan to implicate Gilgit Balistan to Kashmir Problem and all the parties in Pakistan work in tandem to subdue the National spirit of these Gilgit Baltistan people.
While every one knows that Pakistan is trying hard to divert its people’s attention to Kashmir and gain Internationalise this issue, of
no avail now,the issue of Gilgit Baltistan is being kept under the wraps
Moreover Pakistan wants to use this issue as a bargain chip with China.
In the process the cries of the people remain unheard.
What India does is likely to affect these people.
Time India took it own stand instead of reacting to US and China.
This is the write-up from Mr.Manzoor Hussain Parwana.
– The clash of interests can be won through power, whereas the conflict of ideologies has to be ascended by means of wisdom. Galileo’s head was chopped, on stating that the world is circular but later he proved to be correct. Similarly; perhaps if someone says today that Gilgit Baltistan will be the independent state of tomorrow on Galileo’s round planet, he will meet a similar fate. Besides, Gilgit Baltistan is a significant strategic crossroad country of the world, spreading over twenty eight thousand square miles of area situated in the midst of four nuclear powers of the world. This important region between CAR (Newly Independent Central Asian Republics), China, Pakistan and India is also known as the roof of the world. The three highest and mightiest mountain ranges of the world i.e. Karakoram, Hindukush and Himalaya also join hands here. Furthermore, this land is the focus of attention of tourists and adventurers; world over. In addition to this the said country is extensively rich in mineral wealth and immense natural resources. The increasing interest of USA, the development activities of His Highness Prince Karim Agha Khan, rising yearn of the people for independence and the developing activities of religious parties and Jehadi organizations are giving birth to notions at international level of Gilgit-Baltistan emerging as an independent country on the map of the world. In this context, initially the speculations of an Agha Khan Ismaili State consisting of areas of Gilgit Baltistan and Chitral, American Colony and of an Independent State have attracted attention of the people interested in Gilgit-Baltistan and thus are enhancing their curiosity. In the ensuing research work, the writer has endeavored to briefly present the various aspects and consequent possibilities of the rapid changing geo-political environments, by keeping in mind the interests and emotions of the people of Gilgit Baltistan; so as to keep them alert to wisely face the emerging conditions.
– FIFTH PROVINCE OF PAKISTAN:
– In accordance with the basic UNCIP Resolution of 13 August 1948, Supplementary UNCIP Resolution of 5 January 1949, internationally accepted maps and Supreme Court of Pakistan decisions; Gilgit-Baltistan is a part of the Kashmir Dispute. This region was temporarily handed over to Pakistan for administrative ease as a result of Karachi Agreement of 28 April1949. The Govt of Pakistan wanted to and still wants that these areas be made permanent part and parcel of the State of Pakistan but ironically it is facing great political and legal difficulties in this context. In the international scenario; legally, geographically and constitutionally, these areas are very clearly not part of Pakistan. Despite all these proven ground realities, some political parties are demanding that this region be declared as the fifth province of Pakistan; which is merely a baseless propaganda ploy aiming at keeping the people aloof from political struggle. These political parties are insisting on this illogical and foolish demand, either being politically naïve/ immature or ignorant of the geographical conditions and the fact that Gilgit-Baltistan is not legal part of Pakistan and the state which is not part of any county, then how come that state can be a province of that country? Secondly these people are at the height of materialism or enemy of the masses who want to mislead the simple people and keep them away from their right by plotting the drama of fifth province. Till Kashmir dispute is not resolved, Gilgit Baltistan is neither able to become a part of Pakistan nor province, because if Govt of Pakistan makes the mistake of correcting the legal setup of Gilgit-Baltistan, then the Kashmir Problem will be disturbed. There is no doubt that 2 millions deprived masses of Gilgit and Baltistan are restless to come out from the dark nights of 56 years of slavery and injustice to the bright day because new generation doesn’t wants to repeat old historical folly again.
– SHIA STATE:
– The Iranian Islamic Revolution has made deep and long lasting effects on the society of Gilgit- Baltistan. The main cause of which are the Shia ulemas and students who are associated with the religious institutes of Qom and Mashad. The Shia community of Gilgit-Baltistan has passionate association with Islamic Revolution of Iran. The practical demonstration of this passionate association can be seen off and on. Inspite of the rallies and demonstrations in favor of Iran and against its political opponents, give this point more strength that there is a secret hand working for the benefit of Iran. Due to this point or fear some people develop the feeling that Gilgit-Baltistan will become a Shia State. People believe that ideal personality of Imam Khomeini and the ideal Shia Govt of Iran is a model for the Shia community of Gilgit-Baltistan but history tells us that the passionate association of the Shia school of thought is at its own place but the Govt of Iran has nothing to do with the Shia majority areas of Gilgit-Baltistan. The proof of which is the silence of Iran over 1988 incident (killing of Shias). Being aware of this fact still some parties are afraid that if Gilgit-Baltistan will become an independent State then due to the majority of masses it will become a Shia State. But the Shia majority of Gilgit-Baltistan thinks that it will be beneficial for them to become the fifth province of Pakistan, according to them if Gilgit-Baltistan will become 5th province, it will be the province of Shia majority which will play a vital role in the protection of the rights of other Shia community of Pakistan. To give this formula a practical form, Tehrik-e- Jafria of Pakistan has been actively participating in the elections of Gilgit-Baltistan. In this era there is no chance of Gilgit-Baltistan becoming a Shia State or a Shia majority province because Shias here are not being supported by Iran and neither the world powers are in favor of such a state in this sensitive and important area.
– UNITED KASHMIR OR SUNNI STATE:
– The patriotic parties of Azad Jammu and Kashmir working for the independence have this opinion that the state of Gilgit-Baltistan is the unbreakable part of Jammu Kashmir. They demand for an independent united Kashmir consisting of Jammu and Kashmir, Kargil, Ladakh and Gilgit-Baltistan. According to them this is the only solution of the problem of Kashmir and the benefit and freedom of the masses of Kashmir is that they neither become part of Pakistan or India and struggle for its own independence. The struggle of patriotic politicians of Kashmir for an independent Kashmir is getting stronger day by day on national and international level. On the other hand the Sunni school of thought, who are a majority in Kashmir, wants to liberate Indian held Kashmir and are enthusiastic in making it a part of Pakistan. According to them Pakistan is a Sunni majority state therefore the masses of the State of Kashmir should also get into this fort of Islam. They are against making Gilgit-Baltistan a part or the province of Pakistan. Firstly they want to make Gilgit-Baltistan a part of Kashmir and then Kashmir a part of Pakistan. Behind their dual policy, the role of secret agencies and their secret pursuits cannot be ignored. Therefore the Shia school of thought is afraid that if this plan will succeed then they will be deprived of their rights and the dream of Shia majority state will be shattered. This fear forces them to raise their voices against this plan. Jammat Ahle Sunnat, Ahle Hadith and Jammat-e-Islami are doing their best to join Gilgit-Baltistan with Azad Jammu and Kashmir. These Jahadi parties have their network in Gilgit-Baltistan. The Warriors and Mujahidins of these Jahadi Parties are filled with the passion of Jehad and are struggling to make Kashmir a part of Pakistan and Gilgit-Balistan a part of Kashmir. The World powers have not only taken a thorough view of the increasing activities of Mujahidins in Gilgit-Baltistan but rather being afraid of these activities, the policy makers have changed their view over the problem of Kashmir, Before the incident of 9/11, it was presumed that may be the world powers will make Kashmir an independent country but after seeing the activities of Mujahidins in the state of Kashmir they have blocked all the roads leading towards the creation of an independent State, as it would be considered a victory for these Jahadi parties. Naturally American and other important World powers will not like this idea. It appears now that America and other World powers will help in the division of Kashmir. For this purpose and to accomplish their plan, their eyes are now on Kargil, Gilgit-Baltistan and Chitral.
– AGHA KHAN STATE:
– From last two or three decades, many magazines and newspapers are publishing articles and stories about the creation of an Agha Khan State consisting of Gilgit-Baltistan and Chitral. Many analysts and observers consider the creation of an “Agha Khan State” not impossible. The role of Agha Khan Ruler Support Program (AKRSP) cannot be ignored in giving birth to the propaganda of Agha Khan State. Right from the beginning people had this feeling that behind this social and developmental program of AKRSP, Agha Khan wanted to get hold of these areas. According to the religious leaders (Moulvies) he is trying to spoil the faith of people and to support this idea, the Shia and Sunni leaders have made speeches against AKRSP being impious. Despite, all these struggles, AKRSP gained popularity among the people and today in the development of Gilgit-Batistan the role of Agha Khan Foundation is undeniable. His Highness Agha Khan is the 49th Imam of Ismaili community and a large number of people have religious faith in Agha Khan in Gilgit-Baltistan. For these people, personality of Agha Khan; spiritually, religiously and politically is very honorable and Agha Khan is also very sympathetic and affectionate towards his followers. Agha Khan often visits these areas to remain aware of the religious and worldly problems of his followers. From all this it can be judged that there is a secret plan of making an Independent Agha Khan State consisting of Gilgit-Baltistan and Chitral. The keen interest of Agha Khan in Gilgit-Baltistan and because of his good relations with American and European countries it won’t be surprising if Gilgit-Baltistan will become an independent Agha Khani State.
– AMERICAN COLONY:
– After getting hold of Oil, America is now planning to get hold over water. According to the specialists ” The Third World War will be over fresh water”. Glaciers, rivers and streams of Karakorum, Hamalaya and Hindukush situated in Gilgit-Baltistan are the second big source of fresh water in the world. In order to win the war over fresh water in the near future, America has started working over plans and to make these plans successful, America’s eyes are now over Deosai Plains. In the south of Skardu Baltistan, Deosai is the highest plateau above Sea level in the world. Due to its beauty, length/width, tourism, geographical and defensive importance, America and Britain have often asked Pakistan to let them use these plains for their military purposes, but this is delayed or refused by the Pakistani Government due to the opposition and demonstrations of the local people …The situation of Deosai in Gilgit Baltistan and connection with the despute of Kashmir is helping America in clearing this obstacle. By making Kashmir an atomic flash point, Pakistan and India have opened the doors for America to interfere and now to enter Gilgit- Baltistan, America has raised the agenda of protecting water from atomic and chemical pollution. Besides Deosai, America is now in the hope to occupy Siachin, the highest battle field and Shahra-e-Resham(KKH), the ancient trading route. Gilgit-Baltistan which is full of natural resources and a paradise for tourists is now being wanted by America to make it a Tourist as well as a Free trade Zone. To step into Gilgit-Baltistan, 20 lac masses are the biggest weapon for America. It seems that America will achieve its goal by giving basic and legal rights to the masses of this area because the people of this area have been waiting since 56 years for such an angel who will free them from slavery and helplessness. America is master in these matters, as at present it has also given back snatched rights to the people of Afghanistan and Iraq and has led them to the path of democracy. The government of Pakistan and India cannot block the interference of America in Gilgit-Baltistan, because America can use the Resolution of United Nations on Kashmir dispute as a weapon. America has a valid reason to interfere in the matters of Gilgit-Baltistan by using the basic resolution of United Nation passed on 13th of August 1948, over Kashmir. Mostly it is thought that China will not tolerate the interference of America in these areas. It is a one sided thought because the interference of America in Gilgit-Baltistan does not effect China rather it will protect the interests of China, by opposing America China, cannot risk its economical interests in the world market. It is proved by a valid source that China is very suspicious about the activities and the training camps of Islamic Mujahidiens in Gilgit-Baltistan because China does not likes such activities on its border areas and if America will occupy this area China will take a sign of relief. Now, China is also afraid of the movement for the great Tibet in Baltistan. To please China, America has offered concessions in the World trade market and also regarding Hong Kong. The border benefits given to China by India in Tibet and Ladakh are a chain of this matter. To give success to their plans in near future, America and European countries have spread the network of NGO’s in Gilgit-Baltistan. The activities of some NGO’s are a source of alarm/ knell for the literate community of this area. Till now, efforts are in hand by these NGO’s so as to please this aware community so that no voice is raised against them. To smooth its ways in the near future, America can provide benefits to common people and nationalists. It is a universal truth that two million masses who are the victims of cruelty since 56 years will fight against the rule of America in these areas but it is also worth noticing that the rule of America in these areas will merely be the change of masters because these people are accustomed to celebrate slavery and change of masters. The hatred for America by religious parties is at its own place but if Dollar will replace Rayal and Tuman then new sermons will change the opinion of the masses. Now it is to be seen that how long will it take America to change Last Colony into American Colony.
– GILGIT-BALTISTAN STATE:
– The masses of Gilgit-Baltistan are desperately feeling the loss of their legal and basic rights. These days, the learned community wants to see Gilgit-Baltistan in the row of Cultured and developed countries. This community is known as Nationalists in this area, many Nationalist Parties are struggling for the rights of the masses of Gilgit-Baltistan with various motives. The motives of some parties are very clear but nothing can be said about others. The theory of all these parties towards national identity, culture, history and geography is same. In spite of unfavorable conditions, the struggle of these parties for the reformation of the national identity of the masses is increasing day by day. The new generation can foresee their bright and secure future in the Independent State of Gilgit-Baltistan. The parties with most firm and clear opinion in Gilgit-Baltistan are Balawaristan National Front (BNF), Gilgit Baltistan United Movement (GBUM), Karakuram National Movement (KNM). BNF is struggling to make an independent state consisting of Gilgit-Baltistan, Kargil, Ladakh, Chitral and Kohistan. Although GBUM is demanding to reinstate “Republic of Gilgit Baltistan “at the position of 1st November 1947. The chairman of BNF Abula Hamid Khan and GBUM Chairman, Manzoor Parwana were sent to prison several times on sedition charges by the govt. of Pakistan in Gilgit. Abul Hamid Khan is self exiled in Europe now a days while Manzoor Parwana is facing sedition charges in the Paksitani courts and restricted to move abroad.
Gilgit-Baltistan Democratic Alliance (GBDA) is the name for the union of Nationalists parties. GBDA is working for 2 objectives which are based on the reformation of national identity of the masses of Gilgit-Baltistan. This union has clear stance for an independent state of Gilgit Baltistan. Although the independent Gilgit-Baltistan is the main object of nationalist’s parties so they are facing sedition cases on raising their voices for the rights of the people.
– Beside these Nationalist Parties Federal Representative Parties like PPP, PML, PTI, MWM Pakistan, Jammet Ulmah Islam and Jammat-e-Islami also working in Gilgit-Baltistan and these parties are working on the motive to make Gilgit-Baltistan a Province of Pakistan or make it a part of Kashmir. These parties have the motive that the war of liberation of 1947 was fought to make Gilgit-Baltistan a part of Pakistan and the masses of Gilgit-Baltistan had voted to make it a part of Pakistan. On the contrary the Nationalist parties have this motive that the war of liberation of 1947-48 was fought for making Gilgit-Baltistan an independent state and they were succeeded. On 1 November 1947 Independent State of Gilgit-Baltistan appeared on the map of world but after 16 days Pakistan took over the charge therefore Gilgit Baltistan should be reformed. Some communities are afraid that the struggle of these nationalist parties is giving strength to other countries especially America to interfere in the matters of Gilgit Baltistan and to get its objective in the near future America can support these nationalist parties but these parties are working on their plan against making Gilgit Baltistan an American Colony or Agha Khan State. According to them, their struggle is to liberate the people of Gilgit-Baltistan from the slavery of others rather to make them slave of others because only the people of Gilgit-Baltistan have the right to rule Gilgit-Baltistan. Agha Khan State or American Colony will be a constant threat to Pakistan, India, China and Central Asian Countries. The prophecies for the future of Gilgit-Baltistan are at its peak now a day. The truth is that Gilgit-Baltistan is passing through the phase of decision-making, if the people of this area made good decisions then the future of Gilgit-Baltistan is very bright in this Global Village, otherwise the tug of war for these areas will lead the World to 3rd World War.