We have Sun Dial designed by the kings for the Public in India.
A Temple in Tamil Nadu has a Pillar that shows the time of the day.
Margabandhu (Co-Traveler), a Form of Lord Shiva, Temple in Vrinchipuram near Vellore,Tamil Nadu has two Pillars in the Temple Prakara.
They have numerals marked.
Insert a Stcik in the hole provided.
The shadow of the stick falls on the numeral.
It is the time of the day.
i am informed that it is in disrepair now.
Information is welcome..
Main deity: Margabandheeswarar, east facing
Goddess: Maragathambihai, east facing
Sthala Vruksham: Palm
Theertham: Simha Theertham, Sooli Theertham and Brahma Theertham
Sung by: Appayya Dikshithar, Thirumoolar, Pattinathar, Appar, Sambhandhar, Arunagiri nadhar and many others
The Temple is 1300 years old.
Adi Shankaracharya had done the Beejakshara Pradhishtai to the Simha theertham of the temple.
In the Chennai-Bangalore highway, after Vellore bypass, proceed for another 10 Km till a place called Sedhuvalai and turn right for Virinchipuram. The temple is about a km from the Sedhuvalai junction.
About Three hours drive from Chennai.
Benefits of worship.
- Taking a dip at the Simha theertham here will remove the evil effects of bad omens
- The childless couples take dip in all the three theerthams of the temple, stay overnight with the wet cloth to receive the Lord in their dream and get the boon of a child.
- Since Lord Shiva of this temple protected the pepper merchant Dhanabalan, the business people can have this Lord Shiva as the protector for their business.
- Since Lord Shiva had conducted the Upanayanam and Dikshai to Lord Brahma here, this is a holy place to have Upanayanams, to get Dikshai and to start education
- The last sunday of the Karthigai month is considered very auspicious since on that day, Lord Shiva appeared as an elderly person and conducted Upanayanam for Lord Brahma as Shivasarma.
- By worshipping here, people get their marriage obstacles removed and get their marriages conducted here.