Sachin Tendulkar’s post retirement speech.
Humble,Emotional and Sensible.
* Friends please settle down, I’ll get more emotional! It’s hard to believe my wonderful journey is coming to an end.
* I have got a list of people to thank because sometimes I forget.
* I would like thank everyone who has made this possible.
* Its getting little difficult to talk but I’ll manage.
* I would like to thank my father. Without his guidance, I don’t think I would be standing here. He told me never to take shortcuts and never give up. And above all he told me to be a better human being.
* Every time I held my bat up, it was for my father.
* I thank my mother for taking care of me and praying for me. A big thank you to my mother for all the sacrifices. I don’t know how she managed a naughty child like me. She just prayed and prayed from the day I started playing the game.
* I’d like to thank my aunt and uncle who fed me while I was living with him.
* To my siblings for their encouragement, advice and support.
*My eldest brother Nitin doesn’t like to talk much but he said, ‘whatever you do, I know you will give 100 per cent’. My first cricket bat was presented to me by my sister Savita. It was a Kashmir willow. She still continues to fast while I bat.
* My brother Ajit has lived this journey with me. I don’t know how to thank him enough.
* The most beautiful thing that happened to me in my life was in 1990 when I met my wife Anjali. She took a backstep from her career as a doctor and she looked after my family. Thank you for bearing with me. You’re the best partner.
* Two precious gems of my life Sara and Arjun. I’m sorry for missing your annual day, sometimes your birthdays. Thank you for understanding that. I know for 14-16 years I’ve not spent enough time with you. But I promise you that the next 16 and the many more after that are yours.
* I’d like to thank my in laws and my friends.
* In the last 24 years my friends have made terrific contributions. They have been with me while I was stressed. They have been with me even at 3am when I was injured. Thanks for being there for me
* My cricket career started when I was 11, turning point came when Ajit took me to my coach Ramakant Achrekar.
* I would like to thank the Mumbai Cricket Association for taking care of me.
* For 29 years my coach Achrekar has never said ‘well played’ to me as he thought I would get complacent. I was extremely delighted to see Achrekar sir in the stands. I used to ride on his scooter and play two matches a day. Sir took me along to make sure I played.
* You are like my family away from home…my teammates. I know you will serve the country effectively. I have full faith in you guys.
* It is going to be difficult not be part of the dressing room, not to share the special moments
* I thank my physios, doctors for keeping me fit. My first manager, Masceranhes for all his support and encouragement.
* I understood what it requires to play for the country. I understood the gravity of it. Thank you to everyone who shared my vision.
* I thank the media for supporting me. I thank all the photographers as well for all the wonderful photographs.
* Lastly, i want to thank all the people here who have flown from all over the world for supporting me. Whether it was a zero or a century, you’ve always been there for me. You guys have faste for me and done many other things. Memories like these are going to stay on with me forever. Thank you being there for me. I would not be the person I am if it wasn’t for you.
* I’m sorry if I have forgotten someone. Goodbye..
“Friends please settle down, I’ll get more emotional. It’s hard to believe my wonderful journey is coming to an end, my life between 22 yards for 24 years has come to an end. I’ve a list of names to thank. The first is my father, who passed away in 1999. Without his guidance I wouldn’t be standing in front of you. He said ‘chase your dreams, don’t give up, the path will be difficult.’ I miss him today. My mom, I don’t know how she managed a naughty child like me. She just prayed and prayed from the day I started playing the game. For four years I stayed with my uncle and aunt when in school, they treated me like their own son. My eldest brother Nitin doesn’t like to talk much but he said, whatever you do, I know you will give 100%. My first cricket bat was presented to me by my sister Savita. She still continues to fast while I bat. Ajit my brother – we have lived this dream together, he sacrificed his career for me — he took me to Achrekar sir first. Even last night he called me to discuss my dismissal. Even when I’m not playing we will still be discussing technique. If that hadn’t happened, I would have been a lesser cricketer.
“The most beautiful thing happened to me when I met Anjali in 1990. I know that being a doctor there was a big career in front of her. But she decides that I should continue playing and she took care of the children. Thanks for bearing with me for all the nonsense I’ve said (Anjali wipes tears). Then the two precious diamonds of my life Sara and Arjun. I’ve missed out on several birthdays, holidays, annual days. I know for 14-16 years I’ve not spent enough time with you. But I promise you I will spend the next 16 or whatever is left. “My in-laws — I’ve discussed several things with them. The most important thing they did was allow me to marry Anjali. In the last 24 years my friends have made terrific contributions. They have been with me while I was stressed. They have been with me even at 3 AM when I was injured. Thanks for being there for me. “My career started when I was 11. I was extremely delighted to see Achrekar sir in the stands. I used to ride on his scooter and play two matches a day. Sir took me along to make sure I played. On a lighter note, Sir never said ‘well played’ because he didn’t want me to be complacent. You can push your luck now, Sir, since I’m not playing cricket anymore. “I started my career here in Mumbai. I remember landing from NZ at 4 AM and playing a Ranji game the next day. The BCCI was fantastic from my debut. Thanks to the selectors. You were right with me making sure my treatment was taken care of. “Thanks to all the senior cricketers who have played with me. We see on the screen Rahul, VVS, Sourav and Anil — who is not here. All the coaches. I know when MS presented the 200th Test cap, I had a message to the team — I said we are all so proud to be representing the nation. I hope to continue to serve the nation with dignity. I have full faith that you will serve the country in the right spirit. I will be failing in my duty if I didn’t thank the doctors who have kept me fit. Given the injuries I have suffered. They have treated me in odd hours. My dear friend the late Mark Mascarenhas. I miss him. My current management team WSG, for continuing what Mark has done. Someone who has worked closely with me for 14 years is my friend Vinay Nayudu. “The media has backed me a lot, since my school days. Even today. Thank you. Thanks to the photographers for capturing those moments. “I know my speech has become long. I want to thank people who have flown in from different parts of the world. I want to thank my fans from the bottom of my heart. “Sachin, Sachin” will reverberate in my ears till I stop breathing.”
Source.DNA, First Post.