People when they do a Master Health Check up, are often stumped when trying to understand the results.
Though the Doctor is the competent person to interpret the Data, it is in our interest to understand what the Health Check Results say.
The reason is many Doctors often willingly misinterpret or distort facts , taking advantage of our ignorance and put you on medication, for which they are being compensated by the the Pharmaceutical Companies(Please read my post on Hoe Doctors have been paid by these companies, filed under ‘Health/Consumer information)
This understanding of the Data gives you a chance to discuss your health issues with the Doctor, and as I have seen’ the Doctors are wary of people who seem to know, not necessarily know,some thing about the subject.
Now to Health Check up Preparation.
1,Fix an appointment for the Health Check Up, preferably in the morning, say around 8 pm.
2.Take your last food (the day before the test) around 8 pm(12 hours should be allowed to test Fasting Sugar after taking Food)
3.Do not take anything after the last food, save water.
4.Have a sterilized bottle/container from the Hospital one day earlier to collect your Stools.
5.In the morning, collect your first Stool.
6.At the Hospital, test the Blood first. Pre- prandial for sugar
7.Take a lot of water, not less than one liter.
8.Ensure that your bladder is full and have the ECG and Ultra sound scan done.
9.Have your eyes checked.
10.Take normal breakfast and not the time.
11 Between one and a half hour and two hours from the time of taking breakfast have your Sugar level tested,post -prandial.
12.Give your urine Sample.
The Reports should be ready in about three hours.
Now understanding the Health Check Up Report.
a)Hematology.(about Blood) Male.
Total Count . 4000-1000/cells/cu
ESR(one Hour) 5-15mm/hr.
Platelet Count 1.50-4.50 Lakhs/c
RBC Count 4.50-6.50 Million/c
Read the note on Peripheral Smear,it can be understood if there is an anomaly.
Bio Chemistry. Parameters.
Fasting Blood Sugar. 70-99mg/dl.
Urine Sugar NIL.
Serum Creatinine. 0 .50-1.40mg/dl.
Uric Acid Male . 3.50-7.20mg/dl.
Blood Urea Nitrogen. 5-21/mg/dl.
- If your doctor ran a test called Total T4 or Total Thyroxine, normal range is approximately 4.5 to 12.5. If you had a low reading, and a high TSH, your doctor might consider that indicative of hypothyroidism.
- If your doctor ran a test called Total T4 or Total Thyroxine, normal range is approximately 4.5 to 12.5. If you had a low reading, and a low TSH, your doctor might look into a pituitary problem.
- If your doctor ran a test called Free T4, or Free Thyroxine, normal range is approximately 0.7 to 2.0. If your result was less than 0.7, your doctor might consider that indicative of hypothyroidism.
- If your doctor ran a test called Total T3, normal range is approximately 80 to 220. If your result was less than 80, your doctor might consider that indicative of hypothyroidism.
- If your doctor ran a test called Free T3, normal range is approximately 2.3 to 4.2. If your result was less than 2.3, your doctor might consider that indicative of hypothyroidism.
- If your test results are ‘normal’ but you have many symptoms or risk factors for thyroid disease, ask for an antibodies test. Some doctors treatg thyroid symptoms in the presence of elevated antibodies and normal TSH levels.
Alkaline Phosphate. 120(IU/L.
Cholesterol- Bio Chemistry.
Total Cholesterol. 140-200mg/dl.
Triglycerides . 35-165 mg/dl.
High Density Lipoprotein. HDL. 30-63mg/dl.
Low Density Lipoprotein LDL. 15-30mg/dl.
Total Cholesterol. ‘According to the American Heart Association (AHA), you should keep your cholesterol ratio at or below 5:1. The ideal cholesterol ratio is about 3.5:1.”
Stools Test check out the Link web MD .
Ultra Sound, Heart,Lung X ray results have to be analysed by the Doctor.
Liver Function Test.
- ALT. 7 to 55 units per liter (U/L)
- AST. 8 to 48 U/L
- ALP. 45 to 115 U/L
- Albumin. 3.5 to 5.0 grams per deciliter (g/dL)
- Total protein. 6.3 to 7.9 g/dL
- Bilirubin. 0.1 to 1.0 mg/dL
- GGT. 9 to 48 U/L
- LD. 122 to 222 U/L
- PT. 9.5 to 13.8 second.
- Urine Analysis.
- Health Check (shanghaisheena.wordpress.com)