Now that the NE Provincial Elections are over, there seems to be a new -found optimism in Rajapakshe circles that the International Community would go soft on him for Genocide accusations,
The winning Tamil party combination is more interested in running the local Government than bringing Rakapakshe to book.
Killers must never go unpunished.
Genocide Fact sheet.(rough estimate)
- More than 135, 000 Tamil men, women and children has been killed or went missing.
- More than 35, 000 Tamil were killed in 2009 alone.
- 1.1 Million Tamils flee Sri Lanka
- Estimated 600, 000 Tamil internal refugees
- More than 20, 000 orphaned children
- More than 35, 000 Tamil widows
- Thousands of Tamil families (including children) are kept behind barb wire fenced internment camps by the Sri Lankan govenment, for several months in aftermath of war.
- Half a million Tamils kept under military rule in Jaffna peninsula (Northern Sri Lanka) that had been described as an “open prison”.
- Thousands in custody – detention without trial, other widespread abuses
- Economic embargo imposed on traditional Tamil areas for more than 2 decades
- Supply of food, medicine, fuel, electricity and other essential items controlled by the Military
- Forced Starvation
- Usage of banned weapons – Cluster bombs, White phosporous. Usage of heavy weapons, artillery on densely populated civilian areas. Reported usage of chemical weapons.
- Mass Graves and systematic violations of fundamental human rights remain uninvestigated
- No International Media allowed into conflict areas
- State sponsored pogroms
- Systematic destruction of Infrastructure
- Indiscriminate and wanton air attacks on traditional Tamil areas for more than 2 decades.
- Hundreds of thousands of livelihoods and schools, hospitals, libraries, temples, churches, houses, villages destroyed.