Hinduism determines Reality as a Principle , devoid of name and Form.
Worhsip of this is called Nirguna Upaasna,meditating on the One with out Attributes.
However Hiduism understands human limitations and the inability of the Mind to concentrate on a vacuum.
Therefore it lays down certain rules and procedures to worship and realize the reality through Images.
These Images, sanctified by Mantras and constructed by strict rules do deliver the results one wishes.
For more on this read my post,’God has Name and Form, Yes and No”
The Puranas describe and detail the procedure to be followed in constructing these images.
This Temple worship is of later origin traced back to the Agamas.
The Agamas are texts compiled by the descendants of sage Viswamitra, whose sons were banished by him to the South, Dravida.
One of the descendants Apasthamba organised the Vedas called the Aapasthamba Suras , which is practiced in South India to-day.
The Agamas were , to begin with, started to destroy Hinduism by inducing idol worship.
Hinduism , as usual, absorbed this in its fold.
the primary God of those who follow the Vedas, is Agni.
Even to-day, the Vaidikas, those who follow the Vedas, are not authorized to perform Poojas in the Temples don South.
It is the prerogative of the Guruukal, who are not Vaidikas.
The Pooja procedure is as ordained by the Agamas.
The Vaidikas have no place , save when the words.
‘Vedam, Dravida Vedam(tamil Sacred texts) sandharsayami’
Only then the Vedic Mantras, Tamil tets are recited.
Een the sankaracharyas are not allowed to perform Abhishekas in the Temples, nor take the Vibhuti from the Plate direct!
Now let us look at an exposition of constructing a Linga Swarupa of Lord Shiva.
The bottom portion of the Linga is Brhma Swarupa,,
The middle Vishnu and The top Lord Shiva.
The Shiva Porto should be Bigger.
Material for Linga construction.
1.Salt and Ghee.
2,New Clothes and sand for temporary worship.
3.Build with Burnt sand.
5.Rock(Specifications of Rocks and wood are mentioned)
10.Precious stones set in the center of idol made of Metals specified above.
Linga Specifications are also provided in the Agni Purana,Linga Purana.
Those who perform the Pooja must be wearing Upaveeda,Pavithra, Gold Rings,Kangan and Uthreeya(Cloth wrapped around the chest in a specific manner)
The Pandal,Shamiana must be of wooden stalks,
Pushpa Parigraham must be done with Narasimha Mantra,before doing Pooja.
Homa Kunda is to be established in the Northwest corner.
Brahma , Vishnuand Ashtadikpalakas must be established before the Sanctification ceremony.
- Forms Of Shakti Worship (ramanan50.wordpress.com)
- How To Do Shiva Panchakshara Japa Details (ramanan50.wordpress.com)
- The Vedas do not discuss about venerating the icons; though the icons (prathima or prathika) were known to be in use. Their preoccupation was more with the nature, abstract divinities and not with their physical representations. The Vedas did however employ a number of symbols, such as the wheel, umbrella, spear, noose, foot-prints, lotus, goad and vehicles etc. These symbols, in the later ages, became a part of the vocabulary of the iconography.
- this quote and the image of Viratpurusha is from the following Link.
- Avatars Of Lord Shiva List, Rudra Son Of Brahma (ramanan50.wordpress.com)