The current debt of The US stands at $16,701,250,641,109.68 (1o March 2013).
US is a rich Country.
Here is some more information.
“Every man, woman and child in the United States currently owes$54,970 for their share of the U.S. public debt
Public Debt: $11,855,868,140,512.04
Intragovernmental Holdings: $4,845,382,500,597.64
Total U.S. National Debt: $16,701,250,641,109.68
Question: Who owns the public debt?
Answer: Mutual funds, pension funds, foreign governments, foreign investors, American investors, etc.
Which Foreign governments own the most U.S. debt?
Answer: Here is the Top 10 (as of Dec/2012)
1. China, Mainland, $1202.8 billion dollars
2. Japan, $1120.2 billion dollars
3. Oil Exporters*, $262.5 billion dollars
4. Brazil, $251.5 billion dollars
5. Carib Bnkng Ctrs**, $250.0 billion dollars
6. All Other, $240.3 billion dollars
7. Taiwan, $198.8 billion dollars
8. Switzerland, $193.9 billion dollars
9. Russia, $157.6 billion dollars
10. Luxembourg, $150.5 billion dollars
*Includes oil exporting countries such as Saudi Arabia and Iran
Of the $5.1 trillion dollars of US debt that is owned by foreign governments, China and Japan own nearly half, as evidenced by this chart:
Now how would it look if this debt is visualized in $100 Bills.
For 16.394 Trillion Dollars.